Mar 2, 2013

Our Few Offerings

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
(2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV)

God doesn't need our good deeds or sinless obedience to create a masterpiece out of His children. In my unbelief, I wonder if God can do anything with this sinful heart, if he can make a woman out of the little girl that has been stumbling around this semester in search of joy and peace. I wonder if He can take my future marriage and our small attempts towards holiness and use them to love others and bring Christ to a world that so desperately needs Him. In our unbelief, we doubt that God will use us. We doubt that He will take our weak and sin-stained offerings and turn them into a life of praise and glory. But that is just where Scripture comes and takes hold of our hearts. 

I was struck by the past participle, has passed. The old has already passed. It is not passing, it is not on its way out the door. It is gone, and the new has come. This newness brings us hope. We are being renewed, but we are already new. When sin becomes so obvious and we struggle to shake it, we are already new creations.  God doesn't ask us to present ourselves as new and whole before Him. He takes us, sin and weaknesses and failures, and changes us and places us in Christ.  We are new. God has already given us new hearts, and He will take our feeble attempts to follow him and cause them to bring glory to His name.

Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.

1 comment:

Rebekah Daphne said...

Very encouraging, Shannon. It reminds me of a post I just read on Femina: http://www.feminagirls.com/2013/03/02/february-28-perfect/