Feb 3, 2013

President's Ball 2013

Every year, the professors nominate five men and five women seniors to be on President's Ball Court. This year, Travis and I were both nominated. It was a particular honor to receive this nomination from the teachers who have given us so much in the last four years. The actual evening of the ball began with a reception at President Arnn's home. We still feel like kids at these events. Besides the court of Hillsdale seniors, the guests were men and women who we deeply respect and who have many more degrees and years of life than we do. But they are all gracious and kind and we chatted around the table of shrimp and mini cheesecake bites. I love that about my school. The staff and professors are exceptionally kind and don't treat the students as if they are inferior or incapable of conversing on the same level.

At the ball, Travis was crowned President's Ball King, with little surprise to many of us. Sometimes, friends ask me if there is anything Travis can't do, and my mother called this afternoon and reminded me once again of how brilliant, well-liked, articulate, funny, athletic, kind, and talented Travis is.

The Boy has faults, as do I. But on nights like the President's Ball, I am again reminded of the gift of this man. He is respected and loved by so many at this school. He is caring, humble, hard-working, and charismatic. And I am a blessed girl because in exactly six months, I get to be his wife.

1 comment:

EA said...

Dear Shannon,

I love reading your thoughts. And this reminded me again of the amazing blessing Travis is to you. And, no matter how talented and brilliant he is or becomes, he must always remember that he has "married up."

~EA