Jan 21, 2012

Daily Kingdom Work

I'm growing up, and I feel it. The future is sometimes a harsh reminder that my life is full of the unknown. Over break, I wrestled with my heart, desiring peace but struggling to find it. There were questions of future plans, and the role of desires in my plans. Restlessness was king.

But then I remembered something my mom always told me: you have answers for today, Shannon. Hope is a gentle teacher, filling the soul through remembrance and providing a future confidence. God reminded me again that I need not know how my life will look next year or in two or five years. I can be certain of His call today, and certain of His will for my life today, but only for today - tomorrow will take care of itself. This knowledge is the opposite of paralyzing.

Each morning, peace comes quickly. There is Kingdom work to do in this place, and I am sure that it is the Lord's will for me to embrace it and act. Even this evening reminded me of this. It was a simple evening of babysitting: macaroni and cheese for the older two, cheerios for the baby. A movie, cleanup, two books, pajamas, tooth brushing, bed time. And two hours of much-needed solitude for me. But those little acts were facilitating rich fellowship within my local church. They allowed the Hutchinsons to share a meal with other members of the church, and they built up the body of Christ.

It is kind of God to assure me that there is work for me to do each day. Tomorrow may hold the unexpected or the uninvited. But with each new day hope rises with remembrance of how He has directed my path thus far, and with certainty that He will make clear my steps for tomorrow.

No comments: