Oct 2, 2010

Heaven

"Our hope in Christ for the future is the mainspring and mainstay of our joy here. It will animate our hearts to think often of heaven, for all that we can desire is promised there." (Spurgeon)

Lately, heaven has been on my mind. College doesn't feel much like home this year - it feels so unnatural to me. Living in a dorm, eating in a dining hall, spending my days in front of books. It is nothing like the home that I experienced and loved this summer. These feelings of wanting to be home while I am here at school made me think of Lancaster, and the kitchen, and the screened-in porch, and the siblings and parents that occupy those spaces.

After EA had her seizure, I found myself thinking often of heaven, instead of just home in Lancaster. The feelings of restlessness don't just push my thoughts to my home nine hours away now; they push my thoughts to heaven, and to the glorious city that awaits. I want to see Jesus, I want to see His glory, and I want to be in His presence completely.

Spurgeon's writing for this morning was especially timely. As I find my thoughts directed towards heaven, I ought not be restless and discontent. These thoughts should push me to live in light of this eternal hope.

"Let the future sanctify the present to highest uses,"
Spurgeon wrote. I want to learn how to live this way.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Well said, Shannon.

HannahGirl said...

:)
*hugs darling*

Julie said...

Shannon,
Your rich time at Hillsdale is such a challenge and model and excitement to me as I am now at school. I am always so overcome with your maturity, wisdom, and deep love for the Lord. Thank you for being a witness to me over and over again. I love you dearly.
J.
p.s. I'm so glad there was nothing seriously wrong with EA. God is faithful and always right. Give her my love as well, please.
j.