Jul 6, 2010

Cooking and Baking

With Mom unwell, the cooking and housekeeping has fallen to EA and me. Although it is tiring, I have really enjoyed making all the meals, and doing the grocery shopping.

Smitten Kitchen and Fine Cooking have been great helps this past week.

Last Thursday, I made Garlic-Mustard Glazed Chicken on the grill and Cauliflower, Bean and Feta Salad. They were both quite successful, and I plan on making them again soon.

This weekend, we enjoyed chicken, sausage, and sage kabobs on the grill, and fregola with roasted vegetables. On Sunday night, I made pasta with Italian sausage, sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives. That was a hit, too.

Pictured is Smitten Kitchen's Jacked-Up Banana Bread, complete with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Delicious.

All of this work in the kitchen has made realize just a little bit more how much work it is to prepare three meals a day, seven days a week. I am so grateful for all that Mom has done in the kitchen for our family for years on end. And she seeks to do it excellently, preparing delicious meals day after day. I was glad to be able to serve her in this way. It has been so fun, too.

4 comments:

Chaucee said...

What a blessing that must be for your mom! But I hope she feels better soon.
And you definitely consulted some great food blogs : ) That looks delicious!

Sarah said...

Shannon, I read this just minutes after finishing all the prep work for our family dinner tomorrow night. This is a really busy week for my mom, so I am glad that I was able to help. It is fun to cook and bake, isn't it? But I do believe we get the good end of the stick in that our cooking and baking is somewhat supplemental, and not 3 times a day 7 days a week like you said. I am happy to "experiment" on my family as well. :-)
Love your posts. Keep it up!

Hannah said...

Looks YUMMY - you are dear girls to take care of things. SO sorry to hear your Mom isn't doing well! :( Is it just the flu? My Mom was very sick for years and I did all the cooking and shopping so I know exactly how hard, yet satisfying (and a little bit scary) life can be when lived like that. But you're right God is good. *hugs*

Julie said...

Making things in the kitchen is so rewarding and pleasant. This looks so wonderful! Everything you made sounds amazing.